GREAT WINES FROM FRIULI
It was in 1939 when Antonio Colutta decided to buy a country house in Manzano with a small vineyard and some field crops. The management was then sharecropping and then divided the harvest made of grapes, corn, and mulberry leaves for the silkworms. The production of wine, red and white then, it was restricted to the inhabitants of the village and some customers of the nearby town of Udine.
In 1968 , his two sons and Gianpaolo Giansandro decide to bottle the first production of Tocai and Merlot. So they increase the vineyards and equipment , they begin to sell outside the region and with bitter D’ UDINE , bitter still produced in Pharmacy Colutta , reach the tables of the finest restaurants nationwide. In 1985, George, son of Giansandro , joined the company and began an extensive marketing work in Italy.
But it was in 1998, when he became the owner of the company , which begins the “New Deal” ! George decides to push the boundaries and began to travel around the world presenting their wines and opening markets in difficult times when internationalization was still a term rarely used . And so the United States, Mexico , Northern Europe and then China, India, Russia, Singapore , HK, Thailand, Mexico , Vietnam, Australia , etc. . begin to appreciate and consume wines Colutta.
This small area named Colli Orientali del Friuli, dating back to the Eocene era, with its micro climate and its exposure, is characterized by a sudden and clear diversity from the rest of the territory of Friuli-Venezia Giulia.
That is the reason why this D.O.C. (guaranteed quality) area has been used for producing great wines that are known all over the world. The Colutta Farm –“Bandut” is named after an ancient piece of land bought by Antonio Colutta in the early 1900´s, which now belongs to Giorgio Colutta. It produces quality wines in its vineyards of Buttrio, Manzano and Rosazzo, which belong to the prestigious “Parco della vite e del vino” (Vine and wine park) in the Colli Orientali del Friuli.
The vineyard belonging to the farm extends on a 18-hectare surface. A work of reorganization and renovation of the vineyards has started, and the vine number has increased to 5,000/6,000 stumps per hectare, depending on the different grounds and varieties.